Information for lawyers
Contacts for lawyers
First point of contact
The Lawyer Service Centre (LSC) is your first point of contact. It provides the bar with assistance, over the telephone, for:
- Billing/tariff instruction/enquiries
- Account status/outstanding payment status
- Block fee enquiries
- Application status
- Portal amendment request status
- New solicitor assistance
- Deposit slip reconciliation
- Technical support, including password reset
- Escalates to other LAO departments (LSP, Finance, District Office)
Lawyers can contact the LSC toll-free Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- 1-866-979-9934 (toll free)
- 416-979-9934 (GTA)
- 416-979-7326 (fax)
Accounts & certificates
Lawyers can send all account and certificate-specific communication to Lawyer Services & Payments (LSP) via electronic document submission on Legal Aid Online.
Please use the forms posted on Legal Aid Online for:
Please fax non-certificate specific correspondence, via iFax, to LSP at 416-979-8562.
Contacts to escalate specific issues
|Subject/issue||Who to contact|
LSC or in writing through Legal Aid Online
|Hardcap & Late-billed accounts||
LSC, then Regional Payment Specialists for your region
For status updates contact LSC
For urgent matters contact Regional Lawyer Manager
|Accounts over $20,000||
Regional Lawyer Manager
|Costs and settlements||
Regional Lawyer Manager
For status updates contact LSC
For other questions contact LSC in writing through Legal Aid Online
LSC, then Regional administrator
Director, Regional Lawyer Manager
How to escalate an issue
If your issue is not being resolved, contact LSP management:
If you are not satisfied with service, consider the LAO Complaints process.
Brydges duty counsel
Requesting Brydges duty counsel reports
The request must be in writing, on firm letterhead, and should include a return fax number.
The request must include:
- the client’s name
- confirmation that the lawyer represents the client
- a signed authorization, from the client, directing release of the notes to the lawyer and
- acknowledgement of the $40 (+HST) fee for the report (if the request includes the Legal Aid certificate number, there is no charge for Legal Aid clients).
It is helpful if the following is also provided:
- the date, location and time of the arrest
- the charges against the accused and
- the name of telephone duty counsel (if known).
Fax the request to 1-888-963-1035.
Please note that requests take 2 to 3 business days to process.
After the request has been fulfilled, an invoice will be mailed to the lawyer.
If you are an LAO lawyer and need a Brydges duty counsel report for clients who are paying for your services themselves rather than through a certificate, please send your cheque to:
Sykes Assistance Services
(attn: Legal Assistance Division)
248 Pall Mall Street
London, ON N6A 4T4
Questions relating to Duty Counsel Reports can be directed to a Duty Counsel Hotline representative at 1‑888‑225‑6824 (press 1 for English; next press 2 to enter the extension number 75249).
Enquiries handled by LAO’s finance-solicitor empanelment department. They provides assistance to lawyers/staff for:
- Lawyer empanelment (fully completed applications with approval from district offices)
- Staff lawyer empanelment (fully completed applications with approval from managers)
- Tier level increases
- Maintaining vendor records (address changes, updating banking information, etc)
- Issuing duty counsel purchase orders
- HST refunds
- Government withholdings
- Sending out recovery letters
- Processing mediation accounts (Milton mediation program)
- Processing recovery cheques
- Resolving solicitor electronic fund transfer (bank EFT) rejects
How to contact Solicitor Empanelment - Finance Department
Lawyers and LAO staff can contact Soliticor emplanelment - finance department Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Phone: 416-979-2352
Susan Howling (ext 6487)
Julia Marinucci (ext 6252)
- Fax: 647-260-0548
- Via email to our Solicitor Empanelment - Finance Department
Regions and districts
Please use the map below to find out which specific district area office to contact with your empanelment question. The links below the map go to the contact information for each office.
- Essex, Lambton & Kent district office
Includes: Kent county (Chatham), Lambton county (Sarnia), and Essex county (Windsor)
- London district office
Includes: Grey county (Owen Sound), Bruce county (Walkerton), Perth county (Stratford), Huron county (Goderich), Elgin county (St. Thomas), Middlesex county (London), and Oxford county (Woodstock)
- Hamilton-Kitchener district office
Includes: Wellington county (Guelph), Haldimand county (Hagersville/Cayuga), Waterloo region (Kitchener), Halton region (Oakville), Norfolk county (Simcoe), Niagara region (Welland, St. Catharines), Brant county (Brantford), and Hamilton
- GTA Peel York
Includes: Amaranth, Aurora, Brampton, Caledon, East Garafraxa, East Gwillimbury, East Luther Grand Valley, Georgina, King, Markham, Melancthon, Mississauga, Mono, Mulmur, Newmarket, Orangeville, Richmond Hill, Shelburne, Vaughan, and Witchurch-Stouffville
- Toronto North
Includes: East York, Etobicoke, North York, Scarborough, and York
- Toronto Central
Includes: Old Toronto
- Barrie central district office
Includes: Muskoka district (Bracebridge, Gravenhurst, Huntsville, Georgian Bay, Lake of Bays, Muskoka Lakes, Wahta Mohawke Territory, Moose Point 79), Parry Sound district, Simcoe county, City of Kawartha Lakes, Durham region (Pickering, Ajax, Oshawa, Whitby, Clarington, Uxbridge, Brock, Scugog), Haliburton county, Peterborough county, and Northumberland county
- Ottawa district office
Includes: City of Ottawa, Lanark county, Renfrew county, United counties of Leeds-Grenville, United counties of Prescott-Russell, United counties of Stormont-Dundas, Frontenac county, Hastings and Prince Edward counties, Lennox and Addington counties
- Northeast district office
Includes: Algoma district, Nipissing district, Sudbury-Manitoulin district, Temiskaming district, and Timmins-Cochrane district
- Thunder Bay district office
Includes: Kenora district (Dryden, Kenora, Red Lake, Sioux Lookout, Ear Falls, Ignace, Machin, Pickle Lake, Sioux Narrows-Nestor Falls), Rainy River district (Fort Frances, Rainy River, Alberton, Atikokan, Chapple, Dawson, Emo, La Vallee, Lake of the Woods, Morley), Thunder Bay district (Thunder Bay, Greenstone, Marathon, Conmee, Dorion, Gillies, Manitouwadge, Nipigon, O’Connor, Oliver Paipoonge, Red Rock, Schreiber, Shuniah, Terrace Bay), and Nishnawbe-Aski Nation (NAN)
LAO LAW provides research support to lawyers representing legally aided clients.
LAO LAW is available to Ontario lawyers representing clients on legal aid certificates.
If you are unhappy with our services, please contact our Complaints department.
To anonymously report suspected fraud or wrong doing, please contact LAO’s Ethics Hotline at:
- Toll-free: 1-877-312-7753
- Online: Go to the LAO Ethics Hotline and log in with: LAO.AJO