Public proceedings of the Board
Meeting of the Board of Directors on September 29, 2017
Board members present
John McCamus (Chair), Nancy Cooper (by teleconference), Christa Freiler, John Liston (by teleconference), James McNee, Michel Robillard (by teleconference), James Yakimovich, Ann Marie Yantz (by teleconference) David Field (CEO/Ex Officio)
David McKillop, Kathleen Murphy, Stephanie Mealing, Mary-Ann Cocchetto, Vince Correia
1. Meeting agenda
The agenda was adopted
2. Conflict of interest
No conflict of interest was identified
3. Board reports
3.1 Budget status update
The Chief Financial Officer presented the budget status update.
- LAO’s financial forecast for this fiscal year has improved due to a number of factors, including an increase in Law Foundation funding due to two Bank of Canada interest rate increases and additional one-time funding in the amount of $7.1M from the federal government for refugee services.
- LAO is now forecasting a smaller deficit or balanced budget.
- LAO continues to experience financial pressures, namely an unfavourable variance in the Clinic Information Management System (CIMS), certificate budget pressures resulting from changes in certificate model assumptions and a reduction in the forecasted savings target for this fiscal year in the Summary Legal Advice program.
- LAO will continue to explore cost containment measures that it can control.
The Board received the budget status update.
4. Update on refugee and immigration services program
The Board discussed the Federal Government’s commitment for an additional $7.1M to LAO for refugee services. Prior to the announcement of additional federal funding in the amount of $7.1M, LAO was forecasting a deficit in its refugee certificate program.
The Board approved the recommended course of action, specifically that there will not be a suspension of refugee and immigrations services in fiscal year 2017/18.