Public proceedings of the Board
Meeting of the Board of Directors on August 19, 2014
Board members present
John McCamus (Chair); Aly Alibhai; Nancy Cooper; Michelle Haigh; John Liston; James McNee; Derry Millar; Tim Murphy; James Yakimovich; Robert W. Ward, (CEO/Ex Officio)
1. Implementation of expanded financial eligibility
The Chair presented a briefing note requesting regulatory amendments to:
- implement the increased levels of the financial eligibility test approved in the 2014 Provincial Budget and
- replace the needs-based eligibility test set out in the current regulations with the new Simplified Financial Eligibility Test (SFET).
The governmentís budget commitment will raise the eligibility requirement by six per cent annually for the next ten years, with a view to eventually reaching the 2013 Low Income Measurement (LIM).
The materials relating to the proposed regulatory amendments are to be forwarded to the Ministry of the Attorney General, which will, in turn, forward the proposed amendments to the Legislation and Regulations Committee of the Legislative Assembly.
Board members reviewed the proposed financial eligibility guidelines and the revised eligibility tests for the certificate program, duty counsel services and clinic services.
The Board approved, via Outlook email messaging:
- adoption of the financial eligibility guidelines for certificate and duty counsel services, including adoption of the duty counsel testís income values and more flexible asset thresholds to certificate applicants who are victims of domestic violence
- new income thresholds for certificate, duty counsel and clinic financial eligibility guidelines from October 1, 2014 to April 1, 2023, to be incorporated into Ontario Regulation 107/99.