Public proceedings of the Board
Meeting of the Board of Directors on October 1, 2013
Board members present
John McCamus (Chair); Aly Alibhai; Nancy Cooper; Michelle Haigh; John Liston; James McNee; Derry Millar; James Yakimovich; Robert W. Ward (CEO/Ex Officio).
1. 2013 Sidney B. Linden Award: Endorsement of recommendation of Sidney B. Linden Award selection committee
The 2013 Sidney B. Linden Award Selection Committee met in camera on September 30, 2013 to select the 2013 recipient of the award. Committee members are:
- Aly N. Alibhai, Committee Chair
- John D. McCamus, LAO Board Chair
- Annemarie E. Bonkalo, Chief Justice of the Ontario Court of Justice
- William Flanagan, Dean of Queen’s University Faculty of Law and
- Janet A. Leiper, former Chair of Legal Aid Ontario.
The Committee unanimously recommended, subject to LAO Board approval, to present the 2013 Sidney B. Linden Award to Fergus J. (Chip) O’Connor, a lawyer in private practice in Kingston, Ontario. O’Connor has earned a national reputation for his work in prison and corrections law and advocacy. A published author on imprisonment law, he is also co-founder of the Canadian Prison Law Association and played a leading role in LAO’s Correctional Law Project.
Board members approved the Selection Committee’s recommendation.