Publications & Resources
Meeting of the Board of Directors on June 5, 2012
Board Members Present:
John McCamus (by videoconference); Aly Alibhai (Chair); Michelle Haigh (by teleconference); John Liston (by teleconference); James McNee; Derry Millar; James Yakimovich; Robert W. Ward (CEO/Ex Officio)
Colin Boal; Vince Correia; Lee David; Sue McCaffrey; Stephanie Mealing; Michelle Séguin
James McCarter, Auditor General for Ontario; John McDowell, Director, Auditor General’s Office; and the audit team from Ernst and Young
Nancy Cooper, Tim Murphy
1. Meeting Agenda
The agenda was approved.
2. Conflict of InterestNo conflict of interest was identified.
3. LAO’s Unaudited Financial Statements for the Year Ended March 31, 2012.
- The Vice-President and CAO presented LAO’s Unaudited Financial Statements for the Year Ended March 31, 2012. She reported that under the existing auditing standards, the LAO Board of Directors must first approve the corporation’s unaudited financial statements in order for the Auditor General of Ontario to sign the Auditor’s Report. A representative of Ernst and Young presented Ernst & Young’s audit report and their areas of focus. She noted that they did not find any adjustments that were corrected or uncorrected in the financial statements, that the audit report is unqualified and that nothing has come to the attention of the audit team of any significant event, fraud or illegal act.
- In addition, she noted that LAO will be subject to new Public Sector Accounting Board standards effective April 1, 2012.
- With respect to fraud and error issues, the Board was advised that the audit team had access to risk heat maps and investigation department reports.
- With respect to the recent Value-for-Money audit, the Auditor General reported that LAO was chosen to appear before the Standing Committee on Public Accounts by the government.
- The President and CEO advised that, as of June 1, 2012, all clinics have signed budgets for the coming year, as recommended in the Value-for-Money audit report. The Auditor General advised that an update on the audit recommendations will be requested in approximately February of 2013.
A motion was made and carried that the Board adopt LAO’s Financial Statements for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2012.
4. LAO’s Unaudited Employees’ Pension Plan Financial Statements for the Year Ended December 31, 2011
The Vice-President and CAO presented LAO’s Unaudited Employee’s Pension Plan Financial Statements for the Year Ended December 31, 2011.
A motion was made and carried that the Board approve LAO’s Unaudited Employees’ Pension Plan Financial Statements for the year ended December 31, 2011.
5. Sidney B. Linden Award
A Board Member and Chair of the Sidney B. Linden Award Selection Committee, presented his report on the selection of the proposed recipient of the 2012 Sidney B. Linden Award, for an individual who has demonstrated a commitment to helping low-income people and given their time, expertise and/or service to access to justice in Ontario. He reported that the Selection Committee consists of the LAO Chair, John D. McCamus, former LAO Chair, Janet Leiper, Chief Justice of the Ontario Court of Justice, Annemarie Bonkalo, Dean Lorne Sossin and himself. He advised that the Committee considered twelve excellent nominations. He reported that after thorough deliberation the Committee unanimously agreed that the leading candidate was Peter G. Kirby of Kenora, Ontario.
A motion was made and carried that the Board approve the recommendation of the Sidney B. Linden Award Selection Committee to present the 2012 Sidney B. Linden Award to Peter G. Kirby.
A motion was made and carried that the meeting adjourn.