Vol. 4 - May 2011
Spring has been a busy season at Legal Aid Ontario, with the new fiscal year bringing a flurry of activity. Fortunately, the LAO Express is here to help you keep track of all the changes.
If you have any questions about the information you read here, give the Lawyer Service Centre a call.
Block fees, phase 2 coming in May
Block fees phase 2 introduces a number of new features, so LAO has created a series of five learning modules (that’s corporate-talk for online videos) to help you understand the changes. Look for detailed information on the new fee rates and block fee eligible charges coming soon.
Gladue at Practice CLE video now available
For lawyers who are applying for, or are already on the newly-created Gladue panel, the CLE video is now available on our website.
New duty counsel referral process
Duty counsel are now using a standard form to refer clients to the certificate program. The referral form standardizes case and client information, which will help improve the certificate application process.
Initiatives and improvements stemming from the January 2010 Memorandum of Understanding featured in three recent LAO announcements:
- Expert rates increase: Fees paid to experts who provide evidence on behalf of legally-aided clients have increased. The application for the enhanced rate, and vendor of record criteria and application are now available on our website.
- Tariff rates go up: On April 1, the hourly tariff rate rose by about 5 per cent. Revised rates, GDR and more can be found on the Tariff & Billing page.
- The Complex Case Rate panel launched: Read about eligibility requirements, get panel applications and more.
New Information for lawyers section and survey
The Information for lawyers section of the website got a makeover last month. Changes include:
- a redesigned main page;
- new accounts and billing information;
- an easier-to-navigate layout.
Tell us what you think
We’re still making changes to this section, and would like your feedback on how you use LAO’s website. Please take our short survey (less than five minutes), and let us know how we can improve!