LAO office in Stratford expanding services for families
Tuesday, December 8, 2015
Effective November 25, 2015, people who live in the Stratford area will have access to a full spectrum of additional walk-in family law advice services under one roof at the local legal aid office.
People in the area can access to services such as assessments for legal aid certificates and in many cases, same day certificate issuance. They can also receive up to 20 minutes of legal advice from a staff family law lawyer; triage to court duty counsel lawyers; and referrals to other services such as counsellors, mediators or other community workers.
The staff lawyer can also assist those who qualify financially with the following services:
- Review court documents
- Help fill out court documents, or schedule an appointment to return for this service (some restrictions apply, ask for details)
- Assist with the preparation of other court documents such as Answers and Conference briefs (some restrictions apply, ask for details)
- For simple cases, help fill out papers for motions to change child support or access
- Review and discuss consents and agreements (but not separation agreements)
- Discuss the division of simple household assets and simple personal and household belongings.
Walk-in legal advice services will be available at the legal aid office on Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (closed for lunch noon to 1 pm). Advice services are still available on an appointment basis at the courthouse on Wednesdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Stratford family law advice service
Legal Aid Ontario
32 Erie Street