Oshawa Family Law Service Centre opens
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014
Oshawa’s new family law service centre has begun supporting low-income people who live in Durham Region or have a court case at the Oshawa court.
Financially eligible people can make an appointment with a lawyer and legal aid worker at the centre, located near Oshawa’s new courthouse. Most appointments are two hours long, providing ample time for the lawyer and legal aid worker to:
- provide advice specific to their legal issues
- prepare the court documents needed by the judge to rule on the matter (and avoid adjournments to amend incorrect or incomplete documents).
As a result, clients can go to their court hearings equipped with professionally prepared documents, and duty counsel can help them present their case to the court, free of charge.
Like Ontario’s eight other family law service centres, the Oshawa family law service centre will also direct clients to the most appropriate service in the community, such as:
- an immediate referral to deal with a family crisis
- early referral to a non-litigation service such as mediation
- information on the LAO website
- referral to LAO’s free toll-free telephone line to apply for a legal aid certificate.
905-576-2334, ext. 10, or 1-866-595-0563 toll free
Oshawa Legal Aid office
|Mon. to Fri., 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.|
When your appointment is scheduled, you will be told what documents to bring.
The expansion of family law services in Oshawa is one of a number of family law projects LAO is investing in to improve its services for low-income Ontarians.
Legal Aid Ontario
Phone: 416-979-2352, ext. 5103