LAO to fund digital audio recordings of court proceedings
Posted on: Wednesday, October 16, 2013
Legal Aid Ontario (LAO) will now reimburse legal aid panel lawyers for the cost of digital recordings of their proceedings in the Ontario Court of Justice and Superior Court of Justice.
Lawyers can bill, per case:
- $22 for a single day’s recording. Approval in advance is not required, unless the lawyer is not counsel of record for one of the parties.
- $22 for the first day plus $10.50 for each additional day. Approval in advance is required for all lawyers.
LAO will provide reimbursement at these rates for digital recordings of some or all of the following: bail hearings, motions, preliminary hearings, ongoing trials, and Reasons for Judgment. The exact number of days to be reimbursed will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- LAO recommends a digital record for Reasons for Judgment appeal opinion certificates.
- Lawyers can get transcripts, if applicable, for those proceedings where digital records are excluded (see the Disbursement handbook for rates).
- Digital recordings are not intended to replace transcripts where transcripts are necessary.
- LAO will not generally fund both a digital record and a transcript of the full court proceeding.
- Time spent listening to a digital record is under the tariff and may or may not be considered for discretion.
For questions, please contact the Lawyer Service Centre, 416-979-9934, or 1-866-979-9934.