Legal Aid Ontario’s Client Service Centre answers 500,000th call
Posted on: Thursday, December 15, 2011
Legal Aid Ontario’s (LAO) toll-free call centre recently answered its 500,000th call. Established in December 2008, the toll-free line is a cornerstone in LAO’s strategy to streamline administration, improve access for clients and increase value for taxpayers.
Representatives respond to more than 1300 calls a day and connect clients to a variety of services including, legal information, referrals to other services, legal aid applications, and criminal and family summary legal advice from a lawyer. The service continues to expand to meet increasing demand – in the past year alone, the CSC responded to close to 300,000 calls.
Legal Aid Ontario call centre highlights:
- up to 20 minutes of over-the-phone legal advice from family or criminal lawyers;
- service in 200 languages and dialects;
- faster financial assessments using Legal Aid Ontario’s new Simplified Financial Eligibility Test;
- referrals to a greater range of services such as community legal clinics, in-court duty counsel, Family Law Service Centres, online resources such as the LAO website and the new legal information website, LawFacts.ca, as well as other services in the callers community;
- access to legal information and referrals through pre-recorded messages, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, available from anywhere in Ontario;
- callback feature allowing clients to avoid waiting and receive a callback from Legal Aid Ontario once a representative is available.
The call centre is one of Legal Aid Ontario’s many services that provide clients with the service they need, when they need it. In addition to the CSC, clients can now access legal assistance in one of 56 new LAO courthouse offices or 6 Family Law Centres in the GTA, Chatham, and Sarnia. LAO has also expanded online resources for clients to provide more accessible legal information and resources.
Have a legal issue and are looking for help?
Please visit us at www.legalaid.on.ca to access a range of legal information or call us at 1-800-668-8258 for more information about how we can help you.