For refugee and immigration lawyers
Humanitarian and Compassionate (H&C) applications
Legal Aid Ontario has begun interim measures to reduce its immigration and refugee programming effective April 16, 2019. The content on this website may not be up‑to‑date and should be used for information purposes only.
Certificate hours for H&C applications and submissions have increased from 10 to 16 hours.
Note: LAO does not cover the application fees required when making applications under Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds. Those in receipt of a certificate must pay the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada filing fees ($550 per adult and $150 per child) from their own private funds.
Enhanced legal eligibility
Certificates for H&C applications and submissions are available for an expanded range of clients and circumstances including:
- Victims of domestic violence
- Cases engaging the best interests of non-citizen children (previously limited to citizens)
- Persons facing serious human rights violations beyond the scope of refugee protection
- Persons who elect to pursue H&C applications rather than refugee claims
- Persons with significant mental health issues.
Note: LAO may provide coverage in other meritorious circumstances as well, on a case-by-case basis.