For refugee and immigration lawyers
Humanitarian and Compassionate (H&C) applications
Expanded legal aid coverage includes the following changes for certificates issued on or after June 8, 2015.
Certificate hours for H&C applications and submissions have increased from 10 to 16 hours.
Note: LAO does not cover the application fees required when making applications under Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds. Those in receipt of a certificate must pay the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada filing fees ($550 per adult and $150 per child) from their own private funds.
Enhanced legal eligibility
Certificates for H&C applications and submissions are available for an expanded range of clients and circumstances including:
- Victims of domestic violence
- Cases engaging the best interests of non-citizen children (previously limited to citizens)
- Persons facing serious human rights violations beyond the scope of refugee protection
- Persons who elect to pursue H&C applications rather than refugee claims
- Persons with significant mental health issues.
Note: LAO may provide coverage in other meritorious circumstances as well, on a case-by-case basis.