Getting legal help

Immigration services

If you are financially eligible and your matter has merit, LAO may pay to:

  • represent you at a detention review, where, if the government has detained you for immigration reasons, you challenge the governments reasons for detaining you and argue for your release. Learn more about the detention review process.

  • represent you at immigration appeals to the Immigration Appeal Division, where, if you are a permanent resident, you can appeal certain immigration matters, such as deportation orders.

  • complete an application for you to stay in Canada on humanitarian and compassionate grounds. LAO can help you ask immigration to consider allowing you to stay in Canada on these grounds even if your refugee claim is rejected. Very few situations qualify for this type of help.

If we cannot help you

If we cannot help you because we do not provide assistance for your matter, you may be able to get help at your local community legal clinic or Student Legal Aid Service Society.

See our Other Resources section for more refugee and immigration law information.

Please note that these are external links and we are not responsible for their content.