Getting legal help

Family law service centres

Family law service centres serve eligible clients going to family courts located in their area by offering:

  • help with documents
  • referrals to staff advice lawyers
  • full representation in family law cases by a staff lawyer
  • if eligible, referral to a private lawyer who does legal aid work
  • mediation and settlement conferences
  • referrals to other social service agencies

They may recommend that you apply for full representation by a lawyer for serious cases that are either complex or involve domestic violence or child protection.

Please contact the family law service centre in the region where your court case is.