Getting legal help
Family duty counsel
If you are financially eligible and have an issue such as child custody, support or access, family duty counsel may be able to assist you with advice and information about basic court procedures.
Family duty counsel are lawyers who can:
- give advice about legal rights, obligations and the court process
- help negotiate and settle issues
- review or prepare court documents to be filed
Family duty counsel can also provide assistance in the courtroom with:
- child protection hearings
- garnishment and support hearings
- requesting adjournments
- arguing motions
- hearings for issues such as custody, access, or support where the issues are not complicated
Family duty counsel can also refer you to other legal aid services.
Getting ready for your first court appearance
If you are attending court for the first time, review the Family Law Information Program.