IAVGO Community Legal Clinic
Permanent / full-time
IAVGO is a specialty clinic, funded by Legal Aid Ontario to provide legal services to injured workers throughout Ontario. Our services include legal advice, legal representation, public legal education, law reform advocacy, and community development.
IAVGO is a leader in workers' compensation law. We are frequently consulted by other representatives for advice on legal strategy and we work closely with community partners and allied organizations to improve Ontario's workers' compensation system. We also train and supervise a large group of law students through our satellite clinic, Advocates for Injured Workers.
IAVGO is committed to helping the most disadvantaged injured workers, especially those who are precariously employed or belong to marginalized communities. We prioritize cases involving migrant workers.
Main duties of the job:
- Advise and represent injured workers in workers' compensation proceedings
- Participate in the clinic's law reform, community development and outreach
- Act as counsel or co-counsel on leading and test cases
- Support other clinic caseworkers with research or strategic advice
- May be involved in supervising our law student satellite clinic
- Experience representing injured workers, especially before WSIB and WSIAT
- Experience working with precariously employed workers and marginalized groups
- Member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
Experience working in a community legal clinic or similar setting, knowledge of poverty law issues, and ability to work in a second language are assets.
Compensation and benefits:
- Salary will be commensurate to a maximum of $91,000 gross for up to 2005 call to the bar
- Group Health and Dental Benefits
- RRSP Contributions
Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 15, 2019.
Feel free to call David Arruda at 416‑924‑6477 to confirm receipt of your application.
Candidates from marginalized groups are encouraged to apply. We welcome all applications, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.