Housing law/income maintenance caseworker
Neighbourhood Legal Services (London & Middlesex) Inc.
Neighbourhood Legal Services (London & Middlesex) Inc. (NLSLM) is a community legal clinic funded by Legal Aid Ontario. We provide legal advice and representation to low-income residents of the City of London and County of Middlesex in various areas of law including Income Maintenance, Housing, Employment Matters, and Criminal Injuries Compensation.
We are seeking an experienced lawyer or paralegal to join our team. This is a Unionized 6 month contract, with the possibility of becoming a permanent position. The candidate will primarily provide legal services in the areas of income maintenance (including ODSP, OW, CPP-D, CICB) and Housing (including Housing Services Act, Residential Tenancies Act, and Co-operative Housing matters), offer public legal information sessions to the community, and lead and/or support community development initiatives for the housing team.
- Experience providing income maintenance law representation, including appearances before the Social Benefits Tribunal is an asset
- Experience providing housing law representation including appearances before the Landlord and Tenant Board and/or as Tenant Duty counsel is an asset
- Experience leading or contributing to law reform or community development initiatives is an asset
- Ability to manage a high caseload
- Effective oral and written advocacy skills
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario
The candidate's salary will be commensurate with level of experience and the grid amount for a paralegal, although it is anticipated that if this position becomes permanent, salary will be commensurate to a lawyer pay scale if filled by a lawyer. NLSLM is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion and we welcome applicants who are reflective of our diverse community. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario's Human Rights Code.
Applications must include a resume, cover letter, and 2 letters of reference and are to be received no later than Friday, July 6, 2018. You can send your application by email to LaliberM@lao.on.ca, fax to (519) 438-3145, courier, or mail, and addressed to:
Acting Executive Director, NLSLM
151 Dundas St., Suite 507
London ON N6A 5R7
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.