Legal Aid Ontario's toll-free telephone line
No matter where you live in the province, Legal Aid Ontario (LAO) is just a free phone call away, ready to connect Ontarians to confidential, impartial legal aid information and services.
Callers can speak in confidence to an LAO client service representative. This representative can help in over 200 languages, including 18 Aboriginal languages and dialects. Services are also available to people who are deaf, deafened and hard of hearing, through Bell Relay and TTY.
Representatives can provide Ontarians with:
- general information on the range of legal aid services available to eligible clients, how to apply for legal aid and who is eligible
- referrals to other programs and services, such as duty counsel, community legal clinics, the Ontario Disability Support Program, Ontario Works, the Family Responsibilities Office, Citizenship and Immigration Canada, the Ontario Labour Relations Board, the Law Society of Upper Canada, agencies, shelters and other community resources
Ontarians who qualify may be directed to other legal aid services such as:
- financial eligibility assessment
- legal information, applying for legal aid (LAO’s certificate program), or referrals to staff lawyers for legal advice
- preparation for summary legal advice — up to 20 minutes of free legal advice and information on criminal and family law issues
- updates on appeals
Current clients may be directed to staff who can provide information on legal aid application status and whether a lawyer has acknowledged a certificate. They can also update their personal information
How to contact LAO
Call LAO’s central toll-free telephone line, Monday to Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Callers who prefer not to wait on the phone to speak with someone can enter their number at the prompt, and the next available representative will call back. Legal Aid Ontario accepts collect calls.
Telephone: 1-800-668-8258 (or 416-979-1446 in Toronto)
TTY (telephone device for the hearing impaired): 1-866-641-8867 (or 416-598-8867 in Toronto)
For more information on this topic contact email@example.com